St Timothy’s was established in 1893, when a group of women in the Kirkwood community of Atlanta, petitioned the Bishop of the Atlanta Diocese for Episcopal services. St. Timothy ‘s had served the south eastern sector of Metropolitan Atlanta for sixty years. However in the early sixties, the neighborhood began toexperience a rapid racial transition from white to African American. As a result there was little growth in the church membership.

It was decided that St.Timothy’s best opportunity for growth was to relocate to an area four miles southeast of the Kirkwood site. A new site was acquired at the corner of Flat Shoals and Clifton Church. Today, St. Timothy’s membership is primarily made up of African Americans and parishioners of Caribbean and South American origin.